Great article found at: https://www.autotransportdirect.com/6-tips-about-auto-shipping-dates/
Auto Shipping Dates
Auto shipping dates are difficult to choose, but selecting the right one can make all the difference in the world. Here are some very helpful tips that we have found will reduce the stress and add to the success of your shipment.
You do not have to be the person meeting the driver! Anybody you choose can do that. It takes about 30 minutes to meet the driver and have him load or unload your vehicle. While of course you do not want to inconvenience any friend or family member, it’s not too big a thing to ask. Think about it, if you would do it for them, chances are good they would do it for you. Having that backup in place takes the stress out of shipping your car. Try not to ship a vehicle from yourself to yourself. That would be like the Rams’ QB Jared Goff throwing touchdown passes to himself. Too many things can go wrong. Think of a less stressful way.
Figure out where your support system is located. If it is at the origin, lean on those people as backup contacts in case you must leave town before your vehicle does. If your support system is at the destination, now count on them as your backup. Auto shipping dates are determined by your support system.
Please know that it typically takes one day for every 500 miles to transport your vehicle. For purposes of discussion, let us say here that your destination location is 2,000 miles away, so it will take 4 days to transport your vehicle. Let us also say that your support system is at the origination location, and you do not have anyone at the destination who can receive it. Now then, you don’t want your car to beat you there, right? So therefore, do not make your car available to ship any sooner than 4 days before you are scheduled to arrive at your destination. That probably gives you a few days at the origination to be the point of contact, and if your car has not yet been assigned a driver when you leave, then simply call Direct Express Auto Transport customer service at 800-600-3750 to change the origin point of contact to someone else. Get on your flight and go. It’s that easy. No stress. Rent a car or do without at your destination. Please remember, it is almost impossible not to be inconvenienced at either end of your shipping points. You are not overnighting a package. A vehicle is considerably more. But you know that, right? Right. Allow your origination point of contact to meet the driver when your vehicle gets assigned. No money changes hands there and everything will be alright.
Let us now suppose that it is the reverse. That you don’t know anybody at the origination and your support system is at the destination. Well now, you want to be bloody sure that your vehicle gets on the road before you do. About 90% of Americans live in densely populated areas, so chances are high that you can make it happen come hell or high water. Unfortunately for 10% of the country, they live in remote areas and no matter how hard you might try, finding a carrier on demand may prove nearly impossible. But let’s concentrate here…